Wednesday 30 June 2010

DOWNLOAD: King Kong Ding Dong - Youth Culture Index



King Kong Ding Dong
Youth Culture Index

DOWNLOAD

Tracklist:

1. Jample
2. A Violent Light
3. (You're the) Drone Machine
4. Here We Rest
5. Hot Train
6. The Tiniest Anything
7. Evil
8. Crisis Cycle
9. Distant Drums
10. Repetition, Flares
11. This is Not a Parade

King Kong Ding Dong are a US based electronics/live instruments freefalling rhythm machine in a similar vein to Black Dice or early Animal Collective and they've just released their debut album on Dekorder, or totally free to download from their website. A track like (You're the) Drone Machine really does echo a lot of the vocal harmonising, call and response and...echoing...of Animal Collective, plus it piles up some of the layered melodic noisy instrumentation too, which is really no bad thing - the Collective are starting to lose me and a band like KKDD is picking up where they left me. Following that in the album is Here We Rest, which illustrated my Black Dice reference nicely, kicking off with a distorted clang of a drum beat and panning metallic gonging noise where a beat should be. The Tiniest Anything features a similar overdriven bit-crunched effect on the beat with plain crazy noises blaring and buzzing and chirruping all over the place.  All in all a pretty great listen if you want some breezy experimentalism with a healthy sense of fun enhancing anything potentially po-faced (as I am finding Animal Collective's sense of 'fun' these days).  As you can see from the picture below, these guys may not take themselves all that seriously.



1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed, I have to admit. Rarely do I come across a blog that's equally educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit
    the nail on the head. The issue is an issue that not enough folks are speaking
    intelligently about. I am very happy I found this in my search for something regarding this.


    my page :: widyawisatabanten.com

    ReplyDelete