Friday 22 July 2011

DOWNLOAD: Adolescent - Run Away From Bad People


Adolescent
Run Away From Bad People

DOWNLOAD

Another excellent Brighton based electronics artist producing blurred head and heart music. Alex Parish is Adolescent, and although it's not the greatest of names to get started with don't let that deter you at all because the music inside it is of as high a calibre as that fuck-off massive rifle on the cover art.  It's rare to find artists transposing a tangible mental and physical state into their own music, and sharing such personal problems in as subtle a fashion as Alex does - he suffers from Temporal Lobe Epilepsy and takes the distortions of "mood, memory, time perception" which affect him through his condition and replays his experiences through synth and computers to produce a sound  that shimmers with a deeper resonance that merely artfully placed sound can convey alone.

As the EP progresses, whether by design or happy accident, the tracks seem to get denser in their cloudbursting sense of euphoric harmonic detail - the double ambient sucker punch drift implosion of KNEKT and The Source is an equal to the hallucinatory bliss produced by artists such as Vondelpark, Moths, and Holy Other.

Follow him on Soundcloud, then watch this:  The haunting docu-music-video to the opening track TLE (Temporal Lobe Epliepsy), which records Alex's visit to a hospital for a brain scan for the condition which he suffers from. His backstory is copied below.




BACKSTORY:

Since I was very young I've had Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. In my case, seizures are quite infrequent, usually occurring in batches over a few days, every 4-6 weeks.

The seizures are not so physical, instead they affect my mood, memory, time perception, and create massive confusion.


For the past 5 years I have been attending frequent brain scans such as EEGs and had an MRI, the reason for this being that my seizures are so infrequent it is almost impossible to catch one on record to analyse it.


This 72 hour brain scan was the last ever scheduled for me, and I was told that if I didn't have a seizure whilst staying there, then there wasn't much else they could do.


I decided that I would document the first day of the brain scan to accompany a piece of music I had been working on, that was supposed to mimic my seizures in both the sounds used and the mood created.
This was the second time I had produced and edited a video, so I hope you like it!


In the end I DID have a seizure whilst there which was a miracle and am waiting on the results of the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment